How To Become A Morning Person



These days, I'm definitely a morning person, and I'm always in bed early. A total flip of the person I was two to three years ago. 1 am was an early night for me, and I hated 8 am classes. Not everyone can be a morning person overnight, but there are ways to make every morning easier and worth the process. These are some of the habits I have developed over time that helped me become the morning person I am.  


1. Get up earlier. 
You might be taken back with this advice, but seriously. Get up earlier. You will be less rushed, less stressed, and you will have more time to do the things to start your day off on the right foot. Plus, you will probably be up first in the house, giving you some quiet time to do what you need to. 


hiking in pisgah national forest in the morning

2. Go wash your face as soon as you get up. 
Cold water will wake you up and your face will feel refreshed. I don't have a strict skin regiment, I just wash my face with water and occasionally use toner, but if you like to do a healthy skin routine, do it first. You will feel great about yourself, because you are a sexy beast, and you will set the mood for the day. A little self care will go a long way.

3. Drink a glass of water, start up some coffee/tea.
The second thing I do every morning is go start my electric kettle for coffee, it kind of gives me a timer to get dressed and make my bed. Plus, the water will be ready to pour into my french press as soon I am done in my room, which is about when I need my coffee. Don't drink coffee? Try drinking tea, or start some other morning routine that you can look forward to. I have friends who like to make lemon mint water or something else "detoxifying." (Note: I think we all know detoxes aren't a real thing, but you can still enjoy some tasty and flavored warm water).


tea from espresso news in boone

4. Don't look at your phone.
This is something I practice religiously. For at least the first half hour of my day, I don't look at my phone. I wash my face, get dressed, brush my hair, have my coffee, eat my breakfast, get my lunch ready, fill out my planner, and pack my bag before even thinking about my phone. Phones are distracting and take up a lot of our time. Make it a point to spend less time with your electronics and more time with yourself. Morning time is the perfect time to do that. 


5. Sit down for breakfast.
Its such a common practice to rush through breakfast and often do a "grab-and-go," or skip breakfast altogether because of the lack of time. This is why you should get up earlier. Take joy in making your breakfast and enjoy the first meal of the day. Sit down and savor your favorite cup of green tea or whatever beverage you like. This is another thing that will set the tone for your day. Relax before getting busy. 
6. Make a plan for the day while eating breakfast (or after), set goals.
I am such an organized person, so I take this to a different level sometimes, and you don't have to do that. We all need to find our balance. Typically I will open my planner, look at my deadlines and events (school, work, and personal), and make a to-do list for the day, even if its as little as picking up milk from the grocery store. The satisfaction of checking off a list feels great. Also, writing down tasks will give you a higher likelihood of remembering those tasks. Even if you aren't an agenda type of person, at least write it down in a notebook or on a sticky note. Take the time to set your goals for the day and you will be much more productive. You won't run out of time in your day as often if you are more productive. 


to-do list in a planner


7. Do one little chore. 
Rather than doing the same old boring routine everyday, change it up by getting something done in the house. Finish hanging up your laundry, clean your bathroom sink, take out the recycling, put away the dishes, getting some work/studying done etc. One less thing to do when you get home in the afternoon/evening, and that feeling of satisfaction returns during your wonderful morning once again. 

8. Other things
I have friends who like to add other things to their routine, that you might consider for yours to help you become a morning person. The list includes: 

- Going to the gym
- Meditating
- Stretching/Yoga (I am trying to be better about stretching in the morning, it's a work in progress)
- Taking a walk
-  Going to your neighborhood coffee shop (If you work from home and want to get a head start on your day, this is great. I recommend getting to know your baristas and actually sitting down, rather than getting your coffee "to-go." 
- Going grocery shopping (I know a lot of adults who rather go to the store or farmers market early in the morning to get the best produce).
Comment any early morning rituals you like to do down below and help a friend become a morning person and reap the benefits.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What To Wear Skiing/Snowboarding

One Day Castle Tour of Poland

How I Feel About Being A "Statistic"