Moving to Switzerland With One Backpack

I had no idea what my living situation would be like when I got to Lausanne, Switzerland. I originally thought I was going to have my own apartment with one roommate. The flat was going to be in the same building as other student flats, so I knew it was still going to be somewhat communal. I was wrong. I'm definitely not mad, but my living situation is completely different than I expected. I'm basically back in freshman year of college again, but with a little bit nicer amenities. There are three floors in my building that house both sexes, each floor has its own communal living room and its own kitchen. Each student has their own room with... wait for it... THEIR OWN BATHROOM. Do you even know what a luxury this is back in the United States? It's insane. I'm so glad I don't have to share a shower with 11+ other people. That kind of thing will be saved for later when I go hostel hopping. In essence, I am really happy with how my living situation worked out, I've met awesome people so far because of the communal feel. We all have trash and composting responsibilities, which makes me even happier.


Not knowing what my living situation was going to be like, I only packed one 40L backpack for the next three seasons. I didn't pack any day-to-day household items, like dish soap, or pots for that matter. I am not one who over-packs, plus I had no idea what was already provided for me. But guess what? Pretty much everything I need is here in my building. My kitchen is stocked full of plates, mugs, mismatched pots and lids, and Tupperware! I'm lucky in that respect, and I would highly recommend that everyone who is trying to study abroad to not worry about those household items, and try to arrange for a living situation that has those things provided for you. Here is why:

1. Trying to pack all that stuff is annoying
2. Trying to send that stuff back is annoying
3. Why would you even want to try tbh?
4. You focused so much on packing all that extra crap that you really didn't need, and now you're stressed. Stop stressing yourself out
5. You should be focused on school! and traveling! and taking cool pics!



In light of all of this, here is my complete packing list for studying abroad + TONS of travel afterwards. Just as a reminder, I am also dancing in foreign countries, so I took some of these things because I am a dancer, and a few other things because I am VERY outdoorsy (hence my hammock). I am going to experience three seasons, so layering is very important. Try to pack mostly neutral colors, and some of your favorite pieces that will make you feel like a goddess. Never tried minimalism before? Well here is your chance, minimalism at its finest. Also, I am all about comfort with slight style. I will look good, I promise, but not at the risk of me being uncomfortable... so no heels.


Accessories:  

1 blanket scarf - can be used as scarf, cover up, skirt, blanket etc. etc.
1 pair of mittens
1 warm hat 
1 belt - depends on your style honestly
1 pair of tights 
Compact wallet
Fanny pack or cross body bag
2 necklaces 
3 scrunchies

Shoes: 

Hiking boots
Vans or other favorite pair of cute sneakers
Sandals 
A pair of flip flops or shower shoes

Clothes: 

1 pair of black jeans
1 pair of blue skinny jeans
1 pair of black leggings
1 pair of hiking pants - I love being active, I prefer these to leggings because they are light & airy, they can worn to bed, they are perfect for dance days etc. You can replace this item with another pair of leggings if you wish.
1 pair athletic shorts - hiking purposes
2 pairs cute shorts
1 floor length skirt - dress this baby up or down
1 heavy sweater
1 light sweater
3 cute tank tops
2 short sleeve tops
2 crop tops
5 long sleeve shirts
5 pairs of hiking socks - I dance and hike in these
3 pairs of ankle socks
9 pairs of undies
1 down jacket
1 light cover up - for the beach, for churches where you shouldn't show your shoulders, for chilly nights in Paris
1 swimsuit - seriously, unless you will be living on the beach, you don't need more than one because you will look sexy as hell anyways
1 bralette
1 sports bra - I don't really wear bras, oops. If you do, you could potentially pack another bra

Electronics:

Laptop + charger
Phone + charger
Camera + all my gear
Mini tripod 

Bathroom:

Basic first aid kit - don't ignore this, you never know
Bar soap
Shampoo bar
Conditioner bar
Toothpaste
Bamboo toothbrush + bamboo carrier
Meunstral cup
Silk floss - this isn't vegan, but it's the only biodegradable option
Mini hair brush
Nail clippers
Small scissors

Other stuff:

Travel notebook
Book to read
Eno + straps - can't live without this, honestly
Platypus 1L soft water bottle - lots of water, not a ton of weight, made of plastic though. It can last a long time if you take care of it.
GRAYL filtered water bottle - a bottle that will protect you from the biggest viruses and bacteria in water, just takes a little bit of effort. SUPER important if you want to save money and plastic by not buying bottled water.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What To Wear Skiing/Snowboarding

One Day Castle Tour of Poland

How I Feel About Being A "Statistic"